Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2024, 06:46 PM   #1
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
3 Door Refrigerator

We have a 3 Door Samsung refrigerator in our Montana.

Can anyone tell me the travel lock you are using to keep refrigerator doors and freezer door from opening when traveling.

Thanks

jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:28 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jack,

Don't have that reefer but use duct tape.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Fridge fixer available on Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	17047  
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have a Samsung Residential refrigerator, French doors and sliding try on the bottom. Mine came (factory installed) with a knob attached to a bolt that fits into a nut that welded in the middle between all 3 doors / drawers. The know is inserted and then screwed down, locking all 3 in place.

The refrigerator is held in place by support brackets attached to the wall behind the refrigerator, easy to unbolt and then can pull the refrigerator out of it's hole.

In order to prop the doors open (when the refrigerator is off and in order to keep air circulation so it doesn't stink if the doors are shut), the knob is inserted before the doors are shut. Now all 3 doors cannot shut. I will then use a bungie cord and wrap it through all 3 sets of drawers so they won't swing. I do this for winter storage (if the camper is actually in storage).

Hope this helps.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:51 PM   #5
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
We don’t have that brand, but ours came with a knob and bolt that you screw in and it holds all 3 doors closed at the same time.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:08 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Ours is just like Dutchman's. Screw the knob in and all is well.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:55 AM   #7
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We have the screw in type too.

However, we found that the knob surface that contacts the doors is small and the nuts have to be adjusted net to the thickness of the doors when closed. It came from the factory so that the screw would go into the bracket too far and flex the bracket allowing the doors to ride over the knob supplied.

I then added metal and rubber fender washers for extra security and re-adjusted the nut at the bracket side so the rubber washer wouldn’t curl when tightened down. The rubber washer protects the door finish. (2nd picture is before adjusting the nut at the bracket. You want the lock nut to limit tightening the knob too much and also keep the shaft from protruding thru the bracket.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	17053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3675.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	17054  
LeftOverParts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
....and then there are the old reliable bungee cords.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:33 AM   #9
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks for all the replies.
jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:46 PM   #10
Joeboy

M.O.C. #33813
we Just completed our first cross country trek with our 3901rk. 1550 miles Brademton to central Wisconsin. We stored much of the frig items in a cooler on kitchen floor. We did leave some things on door shelves. Big mistake the shelves cracked and I have 3 on order from GE. I like the tension rod idea as I used that in my bumper tow. another idea that I have yet to try and small inflatable beach balls. about 8". These could also work in cabinets.
Joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:53 PM   #11
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I have a Samsung Residential refrigerator, French doors and sliding try on the bottom. Mine came (factory installed) with a knob attached to a bolt that fits into a nut that welded in the middle between all 3 doors / drawers. The know is inserted and then screwed down, locking all 3 in place.

In order to prop the doors open (when the refrigerator is off and in order to keep air circulation so it doesn't stink if the doors are shut), the knob is inserted before the doors are shut. Now all 3 doors cannot shut. I will then use a bungie cord and wrap it through all 3 sets of drawers so they won't swing. I do this for winter storage (if the camper is actually in storage).

Hope this helps.
There is actually a smaller, shorter knob that threads in for propping the doors/drawer open for storage. The knob is small enough that it does not contact the door seals and leave everything open about an inch as opposed to 4 inches using the locking knob.
At least that’s how mine came factory.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:47 AM   #12
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
we Just completed our first cross country trek with our 3901rk. 1550 miles Brademton to central Wisconsin. We stored much of the frig items in a cooler on kitchen floor. We did leave some things on door shelves. Big mistake the shelves cracked and I have 3 on order from GE. I like the tension rod idea as I used that in my bumper tow. another idea that I have yet to try and small inflatable beach balls. about 8". These could also work in cabinets.
It’s also likely because you have a rear kitchen. The back of the rv gets the worst bouncing. I have a feeling you will need more shelves soon!
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:05 AM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
There is actually a smaller, shorter knob that threads in for propping the doors/drawer open for storage. The knob is small enough that it does not contact the door seals and leave everything open about an inch as opposed to 4 inches using the locking knob.
At least that’s how mine came factory.
Those smaller knobs (there should be two in a drawer somewhere) are actually the adjusting feet from the refer that are not used in the RV install.

I also made to same mod LeftOverParts did.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:29 PM   #14
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Those smaller knobs (there should be two in a drawer somewhere) are actually the adjusting feet from the refer that are not used in the RV install.

I also made to same mod LeftOverParts did.
You could be right about the smaller “knobs” but I only had one that came in the pouch of paperwork. Since it works perfectly for propping the fridge doors open, I assumed (I know about assuming) that was what it was for.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote