Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Baggage door strut repair

A year ago one of the struts on my baggage door (convenience center) pulled away and the screws and hardware attached to the door, literally pulled the particle board apart. The metal part that actually connects to the strut was not only screwed into the door, but also glued ... solid. So, when the particle board inside the door gave way, it left a hole. Purchasing a new door was not an option. I can fix anything if I put my mind to it.

Well, here it is a year later and the second strut support broke way. So, I followed the same idea and repaired it too. Here's how I did it.

First, removed the screws from the broken out particle board and used a screw driver to separate the glued metal from the broken out piece.

Next, glue the broken particle board back into the hole it came out of.

Once that dries good (I had to tape it up to hold it in place), cut a sheet of tin or steel, I used a steel sheet, and cut it to shape the curvature of the door and size it.

Drill holes in the sheet for screws to hold it in place. Now paint it so it doesn't look so ugly and let it dry.

I then used double sided museum tape to hold the metal in place on the door, since I was working from the bottom up. Now that the tape is holding the metal, I could easily screw (the original screws that I removed) into the door to hold the metal in place.

I carefully marked the exact spot where the strut attachment was located and then drilled a hole completely through the door and inserted my first bolt (all the way through the door, with washers on both sides).

After the first one was in place, I then could drill out 3 more for more bolts.

Once the bolts with nuts and washers were in place, they were tightened down. This does a couple things. Not only is it hold the hardware on, but it's also compressing that broken out piece of particle board and holding it in place. It's important to replace the original particle board and fit it so there is no gap under the metal. The 4 bolds now squish everything together giving the entire metal strut support good strength. It will never pull away again. The entire door will break out before it gives way again.

Now, with all 4 new bolts in place, I used more of that museum tape and taped up the inside of a fake air vent after it was painted black to match everything else on the camper. Then I simply pressed the vent cover directly over the bolt heads on the outside of the door. I gave the metal works inside the door another shot of black spray paint and BINGO! All done.

Here's the photos:

First side fixed a year ago:

Second side, finally fixed and finished today:

Both sides, inside of door:

Outside of door, with red arrows photo shopped into the image to show the fake vents covering the bolt heads and washers:

It was definitely an easier fix the second time, only because I had one it once already a year go.

I know there have been other posts about fixing is problem, but thought it might be good to share again.

Again ... forum member "Foldbak" is to be thanked for originally giving me the idea to simply stick a fake air vent over an unsightly spot on the outside of the camper. Mine hids the bolt heads. His covers a punched hole that he got from a road hazard. Thanks again Foldbak for that post way back when....

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote