View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #55
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’ve been around this forum from its beginning and joined in 2004. When I say China bomb what I’m saying is the tires that came on Montana campers for years were junk and all came from China. They would blow out without indication they were about to. Sure some people didn’t take care of them but not all. I’m sure some people know more about tires than I do but to say all tire build to some standard and the tires should not have problems tells me they haven’t been around here as long as I have. These tires got their reputation for a reason and it’s not because they gave great service. We now have at least two tires that do give great service but not the old ST China made bombs.
Lynwood
In 2003 my long time Navy friend and I and our wives sold our houses and went full time RVing. My friend had a 2004 Montana and we had a 2003 Everest. Both Keystone built. The Montana's GVWR was 14K and our Everest was 14.1K. All of our tires were built in the USA. Our Everest had ST235/80R16 LRD GY Marathons. Our friends Montana had LT235/85R16 LRE Uniroyal's. Our LRD tires provided 3000# of load capacity at 65 PSI. The Uniroyal's provided 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI. Both of our trailers had vehicle certified 6000# GAWR axles. No reserve load capacity and 65 MPH for my ST tires and 99 MPH speed restriction on the LT tires. During the first year we both had numerous tire failures. We increased our tire load capacity to 3420# and the tire problems nearly disappeared. That's about the time I started writing about tires.

Keystone used LT tires on all late model 2004 and all 2005 models and most of the early 2006 models on trailers with 6000# axles. They were mostly Uniroyal's. The failure rate was dismal and Keystone guit using the LT tires until GY came out with the G614 for 7000# axles.

Sometime in 2007/2008 Uniroyal was tagged with a huge recall of the LT235/85R16 LRE tires. They didn't have enough on hand to replace the recalled tires. They substituted the Michelin XPS. That made a lot of Keystone trailer owners still using the Uniroyal's real happy.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote