View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #46
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
I’ve been writing about RV trailer tires for a little more than 17 years. I have amassed a huge reference library I can draw from and reference when needed.

Most readers get gone as posts get past the 200 word threshold. It takes much more than that to explain the pros & cons about RV trailer tires (ST & RST). I know, there are others for those with 8000# or larger axles. I’m just going to address those at 7000# or less. Original Equipment tires (aka OEM) have evolved tremendously since I started researching them in early 2003.

One of the first things a RV trailer owner must learn is the tires on their trailers have a major fitment difference when compared to tires on automotive vehicles. The tires on your automotive vehicles are required to provide a reasonable amount of load capacity reserves. The automotive manufacturer factors in that reserve load capacity with a minimum cold PSI setting that allows for extra weight.

The RV trailer tire fitments do not require any load capacity reserves. That means the trailer manufacturer can fit a 6000# axle with two 3000# maximum load tires and it will pass DOT certification requirements. All ST tires started out with maximum speed ratings from 62 – 65 MPH limits. When a consumer has loaded their trailer to or very close to its maximum cargo capacity the tires are going to degrade rapidly. The original ball park figure was 3-5 years. If it was a consumers practice to travel at 70 MPH they would be very lucky to get even close to the 2 year mark before the treads separated from the carcass, thus causing a catastrophic failure.

The Sailun tires are very popular. Let’s look at why (IMO). Goodyear developed a LT235/85R16 LRG (G614) all steel tire and dubbed it RST (Regional Service Trailer). It was earmarked for the more heavy trailers with 7000# axles and became a popular “plus sized” – and very successful – tire for 6000# axles. Sailun was the first brand to mimic the G614 and beat all other ST tire manufacturers to the market by about 6 months. Sailun did not go to sleep and was the very first to develop the all steel ST235/80R16 LRG & ST235/85R16 LRG tires. They became very popular because they could provide the much needed load capacity reserves needed to extend the service life of the tire and with a 75 MPH speed restriction.

About 4 years ago RVIA made a demanding recommendation to their members – about 98% of all trailer manufacturers – to provide a minimum of 10% in load capacity reserves with all OE tire fitments. What a plus for Sailun. They could jump into the OEM market and provide OE tires with way more than the RVIA 10% recommendation for every 6000# or 7000# axle.

Many may ask the question of why the two different sizes; ST235/80R16 LRG & ST235/85R16 LRG. If you’re going to sell tires in the USA market you’re going to have to know the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. This is a complete tire size; ST235/80R16 so is ST235/85R16, the proper nomenclature is designated size. To replace the 80 LRE with another 80 LRG is not a plus size because both have the same physical dimensions and conform to the same load inflation chart. However, the 85 is a plus sized tire and will require the installer to use a different procedure for their fitment. The trailers federal certification label would no longer be valid and the use of a supplemental tire labels are authorized by NHTSA.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote