Thread: Propane leak?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
My regulator is on the curbside of the rig. If I need to fill the street side tank I follow the procedure of turning off the tank valve and make certain that the selector switch on the regulator is pointed at the full tank on the curbside. When I disconnect the tank from the streetside line I get a long leak until the propane has purged itself from the length of line from the streetside to the regulator. Then NO more leak. And the curbside tank is on and supplying fuel to the trailer.

If, however, I reverse the process and take the curbside tank out of service to refill I get a slow ongoing leak. Obviously the streetside tank is supplying fuel to the rig but a small amount is leaking out of the curbside connector.

I assume I have a faulty regulator and one of these days I'll change it out. But for now I simply turn off the streetside tank until I return with a now refilled curbside tank and reconnect it. I then simply turn on the streetside tank and we're back in business. That means, however, that the rig is without fuel for the lenght of time it takes to remove, refill and then reconnect the curbside tank. Most of the time this is not a problem but sometime I would still like to have fuel being supplied while the tank is being refilled.

I wonder if there is anything else I could do? Maybe give the regulator a good but gentle 'whack'? Otherwise replacement seems to be the way to go.

Good luck to us all.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote