Thread: Rim Leak
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Gonefishin,

I see this fairly frequently at the tire store. It can be caused by several things including debris between rim and tire bead, pitting of wheel, rust, and damaged tire beads. In most cases, all that is required is to dismount the tire, clean the mateing surfaces of the wheel and tire with a wire brush, and re-mount the tire. When there is pitting of the wheel caused by rust or corrosion, I apply a bead sealer compound to the wheel where the beads seat, before re-mounting the tire. If the bead of the tire has been damaged, ( sometimes happens during the mounting process ), replacement of the tire, or installation of a tube may be necessary. I don't recommend the use of a tube unless there is no other way.

On Edit - Stiles is on the right track.

Another thing I have occasionally found, is a series of very tiny holes around the bead area used for venting air pockets during the mfg process. Most of the time these holes are sealed during the final stages of mfg, but sometimes they leak. In this case the tire should be replaced at no charge to you, as it is a materials and workmanship problem.

Good luck with the leaks, and let us know what you find. Glenn may be along with more ideas.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote