View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Have any of you changed or replaced the leaf springs yourself?

I had a broken spring last year after 10 miles of leaving home and was stuck in a smaller town for repairs. They fixed my up the next morning with 3500# springs (4) for which i was very happy. Now, about 3,000 miles later, I find the new 3500# springs are about 1" too long and are rubbing against the center metal block, which holds the big rubber shock. I really don't like it and want to replace all 4 leaf springs with 3500# springs, but a bit shorter.

Even though I'm 73, I thought I could still do it myself as I have blocking and jacks to lift and support the trailer safely. Just wondering if anyone out there has tackled such a job themselves.
I replaced my springs and brakes about 2 years ago at 67 years young. Been wrenching on cars for over 50 years. Sometimes brain says I can do a repair, but my body lets me know after job is done that maybe not again.

That said, with proper tools, equipment, and skills, you should have no problem getting it done. Use a jack to raise the spring into place.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote