View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 11:00 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
We are also planning for 2023. At least as far as Dawson City; have not decided how far into Alaska. Probably departing mid July to see the bears in Hyder continuing into fall. Thinking about McCarthy now; it's been long enough.
We did the Dawson City into AK the last time -2016. Quite an adventure. The city was great as was the Dirty Gerty's dancers! Had one sit on my lap and as usual, my wife didn't take a pic!
The road after crossing the road on the ferry was pretty good to the border. Then into AK (USA!!) and was actually paved - for about 6 miles! Then NOT SO GOOD! Very narrow and dirt and rough. One place there was actually a boulder that the road went over - too big to bull doze out so they just have dirt covering some of it. Other places where the road was so narrow you could not pass oncoming traffic for maybe a quarter mile or longer. Fortunately we didn't meet hardly anyone as it is not heavily used. Probably averaged 20 or 25 mph on this stretch.

But Chicken was interesting (town). And there is a restaurant that serves - guess what - chicken!
I also found a kind of cool park in Kenai - Beluga Lookout. It is high on the shoreline (about 75-100 feet up) overlooking the river inlet. There is a trail down to the shore. However, our site was so narrow that with our steps down they were actually on the neighbors site.
Oh, and the bears at Hyder start around Aug 8. My first time we were earlier so skipped it (and the salmon were 7-14 days late which is what attracts the bears). They actually name the bears since they seem to wander thru every night or 2 and there were 2 different ones in two days.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote