View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Your truck has to be licensed for the combined loaded weight of your truck (7700 lbs) plus the loaded weight of your trailer, (say about 14000lbs) for a total of about 21,700 lbs. (The Gross Combined weight rating on your Chev 2500HD is probably 22.000 lbs,) Your truck also has a GVWR of 9200 lbs, That only leaves you 1500 lbs for pin weight, your actual pin weight is probably approaching double that.

I do not have a class A license at present, I have considered getting one, but if you are over 65, you have to go through all the hoops you mentioned every year, I just do not want to do that. I am taking the advice of Garth Cane who I quoted above, (unofficial though it is). According to Garth, the MTO is not enforcing the existing regulations on private use RVers pending the introduction of more realistic licensing classes. I do have my truck licensed to pull my gross combined weight, and am legal in all other respects except my license class, and that is really because Ontario does not yet have a license class to cover private use recreational trailers. I am just hoping that eventually the MTO will see the light and introduce something like BC's license endorsement, and especially the free tests for people over 65! (I can dream can't I - or just move to BC).

By the way, it is the loaded trailer weight less the pin weight that determines the weight of the trailer for licensing purposes. ("The weight transmitted to the road through the axles")

This is a very frustrating issue for owners of large 5th wheel trailers in Ontario. Sorry to bore everyone else with our local issues, but where better to discuss the licensing problems of owners of large trailers?

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote