View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
No response from Montan as of 2:00PM on friday. Supposedly there has been a storm in the Goshen area that has disrupted the Factory systems and response capability.

We are now back home after a 2 hour plus return drive. Reflecting on what occured at the dealer this week I have come to the conclusion they did everything we asked for but even applying the Montana factory fixes, the slide just cannot be repaired as it was originally built. The roof is just too low. We stopped into the dealer again today and they adjusted the slide forward so that the side rubber seals were equally sealing. This corrected the problem of the slide being too far to the rear which occurred when we were trying to get the outside edge adjusted to not excessively rub on the carpet. It appears that the excessive rubbing on the carpet is now cured but the decals no longer match by about a 1/2". I have decided to live with that temporarily to avoid damaging the carpet. While helping get the whole slide moved forward we noticed that the front side wasn't built square either. The bottom is further forward than the top. IMHO it is just a bad slide, all over, that just got built out of spec and no easy fixes are possible. I beleive the dealer gave it's best shot. We will wait to see what Montana's response will be.

But several other nagging warranty issues got fixed. A new Apolo Oven was installed, but unfortunately the bezel got cracked on installation. The dealer had to do quite a few internal modifications to the bezel to get it to fit. I don't understand why that was necessary. But the good news is the new oven works so much better than the original and it is at least 50% quieter. Didn't know what a good oven was supposed to work like until we got the new one. Hopefully that puts that issue to bed. New bezel is supposed to be sent to us for me to install.

Had the Fantastic Fan worked on again as the Oregon dealer fix didn't solve the sticking problem. Working again, we will see if this fix lasts.

The dealer removed all wheels and hubs for me to check the wiring. I took pictures of three of the four wheels with hubs off. Found no loose connections or worn insulation anywhere. I asked them to put a protective sleeve over the wires where they rubbed on the left spring. They used a split corrugated spiral type sleeve which looks to me will give the wires the extra protection they need. Hopefully that puts that scary problem to bed. No recurrence of the brake issue has returned on this recent trip.

Dealer policed the whole 3400RL outside for stray and smudged Silicon caulking. Many of the seams had excessive silcone spread as much as an inch out from the actual seam. There were also randonm spots of smeared silcone all over. Really ugly and collected road dirt like a magnet. They used a plastic "putty buddy" to score the silcone film where it needed to stop and then scraped the excess off of the gel coat also using the "Putty Buddy" and then used a chemical called SAR (Silicon Adhesive Remover) to clean the surface to remove any adhesive residue. They got 80% or more of the bad stuff. Bought a bottle of SAR and will try to get the remaining 20% myself.

Had a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff fixed as well, such as tightening the kitchen faucet which had come loose again even after the Oregon dealer fix. Bedroom mirrored closet doors lower tracks repaired and now slide like they are supposed to. Many of the door latches were adjusted to try to get them to stay closed while we are on the road. Dealer told us that the factory latches were just too cheap and probably were not going to satisfy us. They gave us a recommendation on alternate style latches, which we purchased six of to install on a trial basis. There are a lot of hinges that need to be replaced. Replaced cracked screen door handle, etc, etc. Many more little items were fixed.

All of these were done at no cost to us and I doubt Montana paid for much of it and possibly none of it. The dealer went the extra mile for us. For that we are very thankful and appreciative.

I'll report again when and if we hear what Montana's response is on the defective Super Slide. I know this may sound trite and underestimating the cost involved but I really think the only solution is a compete replacement of the whole slide. We will see.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote