View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, we (Vicki, the kids and I) also did many trips between Kansas and California. My exposure to Texas was the panhandle, sometimes US 54 through Dalhart and other times I-40 through Amarillo. All we saw was flat and dusty, kind of like many people's impression of Kansas. My childhood memories of the Disney "Davy Crockett" series got me (us) to go to San Antonio on our five week trial run before fulltiming. Then spending a short time in Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon. Later a month in January, 2004, in Austin, then Fredericksburg and Big Bend Naitonal Park. I now realize there is a whole lot more to Texas, a wide variety geography and cultures. It is an interesting state, one well worth visiting, in my opinion.

Traveling in Texas I finally understood the pride in Texas thing that I used to think was arrogance, to tell the truth. Those folks grow up hearing about how BIG Texas is and how great it is. It is ground into them from about the time they start to read. There are state flags everywhere! There are many, many billboards in which the advertisements reference being "big as Texas" or "great as Texas" or "Texas-sized". I've never seen anything like this in any other state. No wonder Texans tend to brag about their state and to compare everything to Texas. No offense meant to Texans!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote