View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 04:04 AM   #33
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
As a police officer for 37 years I will agree with the last statement. The police rarely, if ever, mess with campers. But I stick to my previous statement about the issues of being over weight and court. Yes, the 250 will handle the trailer. You're pushing it but it will do the job. My point is IF/WHEN something does go wrong, then the numbers become very important. Don't you see all the commercials on TV from the "injury lawyers", "YOU DON'T PAY UNLESS WE GET YOU MONEY", or, "WE FIGHT FOR EVERY PENNY YOU DESERVE". Folks, if you are on the receiving end, even if you win your case, the attorney fees will wipe you out. And six or seven years of prepping for the case, then only to settle out of court.....well, not for me. IMHO, better safe than sorry. Either invest in a bigger truck or buy a lighter fiver.
I also am retired LEO (State Police). I totally agree you could have a problem if you are seriously overweight and cause an accident. However the chances are so extremely rare that it probably isn't worth worrying about. Most states that issue RV registrations don't have many restrictions like you would on a big truck registration and none of the commercial regulations apply to RV's. The chances of a Trooper or county Deputy trying to weigh a wrecked RV after an accident are extremely slim, and most local law enforcement wouldn't even know where a scale was located (not knocking local, I was one for 12 years also).

The main reason everyone should stay in weight limits is simply due to safety concerns. A loaded 40' Montana being towed doesn't stop on a dime even if it is being towed by a F450 dually, why make it worse by towing overweight.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote