View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
When I was working, I purchased hundreds of Dell machines. I have always used Dell, and in the past have been very happy with their performance, but not the technical support (India) or the ease of getting around on the Dell website.

Eighteen months ago, I purchased a new 17" Inspiron laptop from Dell for personal use. I never bought the $300 warranty. This is a new machine and there should have been no reason for hardware failure.

2 months ago, when I turned it on, there was nothing.....no video display, this one had failed...the video adapter did not display. (never dropped or abused in any way).. I contacted Dell and they would repair it, their estimate, without knowing what the real problem could be was between $200 and $500 dollars to repair (blank credit card account upfront)....but no set figure for an estimate, I was stuck, had to go with their plan.

They sent a box and I shipped it back to them. They were very speedy and within a week, I had my repaired laptop returned and it worked perfectly.

Looking at my Visa bill, they charged the higher figure of $500.

My complaint with Dell? Why should a new computer video display go bad in 18 months???? What video display ANYWHERE of any kind (with labor to repair) cost $500? It is a scam to buy their extended service plans, but the bigger scam is the way they stand behind their product...you know, the one they supposedly produced!

Laptops these days are laptops, don't let Dell's marketing tell you that their machines or service after the sale is any better than anyone else's.

BTW, most Dell components are not made in the US, the machines are assembled in the US from parts made overseas.

Goodbye Dell, I will never purchase another machine from you....guess you won't be figuring out why your market-share is dropping.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote