View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dianna and I each have a laptop. We have a wireless router and a wireless printer. So the laptops and the printer are networked through the router. There are several brands of wireless router. I have used Linksys and now use Cradlepoint.

To the router you connect whatever internet connection you are using. Cable or DSL or satellite is attached to the router with an ethernet connection. Linksys was good for this type of internet source. When we moved to a wireless modem (Verizon, ATT, Sprint), we needed a modem that would handle an "aircard" connection. The Cradlepoint router will handle different types of aircard and also ethernet.

Since we full time it is important to us to be able to connect to whatever service is available when we are out of the Verizon service area. It is also desirable to be able to print without being connected to the printer and to do so independently of one another, i.e., Dianna can print a document and I can send a document to the printer while hers is still printing. Through the wireless router, we are both on the internet simultaneously with the single wireless Verizon modem.

Long answer to say "yes, I think the a, b, g, & n are worth having.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote