View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Your two new laptops should come with the built in wireless connectivity. I'd be surprised if they did not. You don't have to use the wireless, but it is there if you need it. You can use the built in Ethernet Adapter. I have been using this Toshiba Satellite laptop since 2005. It has built in wireless. I have a wireless Lynksys router in the other room, so I sit here in the easy chair semi watching television while reading this wonderful forum. It also has been my Internet connection when on travel, and only if wireless is available. I would not be without it.

I also have an iMac 24 in the other room (It has built in wireless but I have not used it yet) and a Compaq PC that I have had for 5 years or so running XP.

I do like the iMac, but there is limited access to software. The software market is the PC and there is a much broader availability of software for the PC. Student edition of MS Office for the MAC was only $129. Not to many of us need the full blown business version of MS Office. The iMac, so far, has had all the generic software that I would need to use for video/photo and the quality for those items is considerably better than the standard PC.

200 years ago when i was teaching computers for adult education at a local junior college I used to state that if all you wanted to do was simple word processing and calculations, go with a PC. But, if you were heavy into graphics, go with a MAC. I still think that holds true.

I'll just have to stay with both platforms to fulfill my needs (read that "desires."

You won't go wrong having the wireless and using it when it is available. If you don't have it and want it, you can always go with one of the portable USB ones, or an aircard.

Edited: Depending on who you talk to, you will hear differences of opinion on Vista. One friend of mine who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to computers, said Vista is the cream of the crop. Others have said it is a piece of dirt. I have never used Vista so I cannot make a comparison. I like XP and have had very little trouble in using it, or the applications I have loaded into it.

AS for the Model. They are all good. Some have proprietary software that I don't particularly like. Some have proprietary hardware that is difficult to get around in. As for repair, any good computer shope (Best Buy, Circuit City, Etc.,) can repair and trouble shoot software even if a company were to go out of business and stop offering support.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote