Thread: battery water
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Overcharging batteries is almost as bad as over discharging battery until the voltage down to below 10.6 volts. Permanent damage is done to battery by letting the cells run dry (low water) by most campers built in battery charger. Once the battery is fully charged the campers charger continues to put excess power to the battery. That energy converts the water in the cell to Hydrogen and Oxygen gas. That is the reason for the battery vents to prevent a buildup of the explosive gases in the battery compartment. In addition when any lead acid battery including deep cycle is discharged below the 10.6 volt level damage to the battery is done. There are commercial chargers that the telephone company uses that maintains the battery at a float charge level that does not damage their batteries. They are very expensive though.
I looked at the IOTA converter and the battery charging module. The numbers they claim look good and they are doing it the right way. Have you ever put a voltmeter on your batteries to see if it is float charging the battery once full charge is reached?
My Montana came equipped with a Parallax Power Components series 500 Power Center. It continually overcharges my battery. I turn the battery switch off which I had to install to save my battery from the charger when hooked to shore power. The IOTA charging current adapter won't work on my power converter otherwise I would be first in line to get one.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote