View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
DQDick is right on. It only takes my 10 gallon water heater to provide hot water in about 20 minutes (and I currently only use the external rocker switch), otherwise you are wasting propane while you heat water enroute anywhere. The time it takes for the water to heat up is easily covered in the time it takes for you to complete your setup when you arrive. Assuming you connect the water supply and make sure there's water in the tank, then heating that water is pretty quick. I do that third after leveling and stabilizing the rig, then connecting electricity and before connecting the sewer and moving the slides. By the time I'm done with the rest of the setup, the hot water will be hot enough and rewarding for a shower after completion of the rest of your setup.

Please note, I am only using electicity to heat water because I've been too lazy to debug the propane heatability which is not currently working.

A little off topic, but I kinda try and use electricity and avoid using propane in most cases. Electricity is free wherever I RV camp and propane I have to buy (and at campgrounds it's pricey). Just makes fiscal sense to me. I do use propane on occasion just to make sure things work (like the fridge, furnace and water heating (which is NOT currently working), but use electricity any time I can. So far, I fill a 30# tank everything 4 or 5 months (summer or winter in southern California)! And I found a cheap propane supplier that only charges about $1.90 per gallon of propane - it's a welding supply retailer near where I live.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote