View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #126
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Mlh and richfaa

So far all this discussion has been about complying with the regulations in Florida.

The assumption that on a simple traffic stop you may get off without a ticket or tickets is most likely correct.

Most law enforcement officers would consider if it looks like an RV it probably is an RV.

Lynwood you are correct until you look at the definition of “Serious Accident”.

Richfaa you are incorrect by not complying with the difination of “Personal use vehicle” you become a “Commercial vehicle” whether you are paid or not and this has been upheld by the courts in many states. You may also want to look at the difination of “Serious Accident”.

Remember the traffic laws in most states are dictated by the Federal DOT they do this using the Grant Qualification portion of the fuel tax money they grant to the states for building and maintaining the Interstate roads. The current requirement is to put a child restraint law in and they even dictated the wording of this law.

Phil P
I really dislike it when there is misinformation put forth on any forum. I am a retired Trooper and was certified in Motor Carrier Safety (Fed Regulations). Here is the best example I can give:

Richfa and I are both pulling our fivers into Florida for the winter. We stop as we enter Florida and decide that we will switch, he will pull mine and I will pull his. Maybe he has Ohio registration and I have Florida registration, it really doesn't matter because both of our fivers are registered and titled as RV's. We don't have any IDOT numbers on our TV's nor do we need them.

We are still perfectly legal by Florida standard (State Statutes) and of course the Federal regs would still not apply to us. We still will not be stopping at weigh stations or doing anything else that applies to a commercial vehicle.

The Federal regs do not change from state to state for commercial vehicles. Neither does the definition of what determines if you are a commercial vehicle or not. State statutes and traffic laws for non-commercial vehicles will vary from state to state but not the Fed regulations.

If Richfa is paying me to haul his fiver into Florida everything changes. Or, if I start working part time for North Trail RV and moving RVs around for them then everything changes.