View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #16
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana20 View Post
Does anyone think a dually from 00-10 would be too old to tow new 40’?
Can max out at 17k and hitch would be 3k

Also anyone’s opinions on needing the 8’ vs 6.5’?
Also using Anderson hitch vs standard 5th wheel or sliding hitch.

So if Ford it seems 2011 or newer but stick with 2012 for 6.7. What about the previous gen?
If Chevy/GMC?
If Ram?

Trying to stay below <2014 for $$$ reasons but still want reliability by not buying the known lemons. Could be poorly maintained but that’s a chance I’ll have to take ( if anyone has some recommendations to look for to make sure properly cared for since wouldn’t know if systems have been flushed or timing, plugs, pumps were replaced.

I am always leery when buying a used vehicle because you cant be sure how it was treated. In your case you want to use it to tow your house with most of your worldly goods around. A older truck may be fine to tow but the newer trucks are so much better for what you want to do. When I got my truck I had to go new because I didn't want it to brake down on the side of the road. Now sure new trucks can and do brake down but what are the odds? I would however get the newest truck you can afford. Depending on the tow package you get weather diesel or gas or 4x4 or not you may be able to get by with a SRW. A gas truck non 4x4 regular cab has a higher payload than a diesel which is heavier motor. A 4x4 is also heavier which also eats into the payload capacity. The bigger the cab 2 door or 4 door makes a difference. You defiantly need a 1 ton truck for this 5er. Now they make a 10,000 and a 11,500 GVWR trucks in the 1 ton SRW. Make sure you get the 11,500 GVWR truck so you can still go with a SRW. Lots of guys seem to think you need a DRW but they are a pain to own. They take up the entire lane when driving so it's like pulling your 5er all the time to stay in your lane. They don't fit in most parking spots and are as long as a bus. They have 6 tires and tires aren't cheap. You need to buy them in a set when they wear out. You can go by the weight sticker on the side of your 5er for weights. Use the max number and you will be fine for towing capacities. You always use the max number to be within manufactures specifications both on the 5er and truck. I own a 15 Ford F250 6.7 4x4 and love my truck so I am bias for Ford LOL. I also pull a 34' 5th wheel.I have the short bed with a B&W hitch non slider and I don't have any cab clearance issues.
Happy truck hunting.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote