Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #27
Theadamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #1793
I have enjoyed reading the replies to the original question. Looks like there are a variety of views on oil-change intervals. I myself have become so accustomed to the 3,000 mile interval that I continue to follow this mind-set for all four of my vehicles, including my TV. I believe that as long as you follow the OEM requirements, you will be OK. I do not claim to be an expert in this area but I know many that are. I work for a major petroleum additive company that supplies the additive packages to and completes the testing for many of the major oil companies. OEM requirements continue to get more stringent. Industry standards are also continually changing resulting in better crankcase technology. If you purchase an oil with the latest API designations, you will be safe. The amount of testing required to get a pass on the various specifications is mind numbing (deposit formation, high temp. wear, soot dispersancy, soot wear, sludge formation, oxidation, viscosity breakdown, shear stability, fuel economy, drain interval, etc.). By the time the finished oil gets to Wally World, it has been tested under the most rigorous conditions. An important point to consider is that the oil change interval for a diesel engine probably needs to be more closely monitored than a gasoline engine due to the increased levels of soot and particulates that result in engine component wear. Also, synthetics are great at maintaining good viscosity but they get just as polluted as mineral based oils. My preference is to use the mineral based oils and change more often. This is just my preference. We all evaluate the available information and make the choice we fell most comfortable with.

Theadamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote