View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Tom,

Thank you for pointing out that 8/4 is only rated at 40 amps. I did not know that; I used the recommendation of a friend who has an electrical engineering background and who owns a Wanderlodge RV bus when I wanted to make a shorter, more flexible shore power cord.

Anecdotally, I don't ever recall exceeding 40 amps per leg. It is my understanding that the neutral carries the mismatch between the two legs. I just turned on all of our appliances, including making the converter kick in by turning on the battery disconnect. The highest leg was 34.7 amps and the other leg was 18.2 with a mismatch difference of 16.5 amps. Am I doing the math right?

Now, we don't usually have everything turned on in our rig and we do have all LED lighting, including 110 volt, so that probably helps. I will however, now knowing what the wire will handle, make a choice as to when I use the 8/4 or the 6/4 OEM anaconda. Thank you!

As for the stranded issue, would using a crimp connector on each end of the wire and then soldering it resolve the problem?

This is why I enjoy this forum: I thought my previous response was correct and perhaps in my rig it is, but I appreciate that others can expand our knowledge so that all can make informed decisions.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote