View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #87
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlg View Post
When the dealer installed my under body tank from transfer flow they said there would be 5 gallons I couldn't pick up.
But then would be true of just about all fuel tanks OEM or otherwise. Even many in-bed transfer or Aux tanks will have a certain amount of fuel capacity that cannot be used due to physics or design. Having said that , any increase in usable range has its advantages... and disadvantages.

Would I like to have more range, sure but with a tiny bit of preplanning our 250-300 range seem to be fine for what we do. YMMV as they say.

For an Alaska trip, we may invest on a 5 gallon can for a bit of extra peace of mind in the event we have to even use it. Gas Buddy has a travel calculator which shows you where each of your stops will be within your tank and mpg limits.

The Titan tank is a great option, don't get me wrong but it is pricey but when bed space is at a premium it could be worthwhile. In-bed systems can be less costly or more if you want all the bells and whistles. Range anxiety is not a constant problem in most places so it seems, to me , to be hard to justify the added cost of any substantial fuel capacity improvements over the stock OEM setup. Fuel cards are better spent on more fuel not on more range. A few extra stops to get it is not a heavy price to pay. It will take years for most people to recoup the fuel tank cost when you are talking about $1000+ to have bragging rights. More power to you, after all it's a choice and its your money.

JMHO

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote