View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
Broken Axle

We have a 2007 3400RL and have had axle problems the past couple years. When just leaving for a trip last year, we had a spring break right in half at the axle. We were less then 30 miles from home, but too far away to limp back. Had a local truck repair shop replace all 4 springs with upgraded (3500#) springs and things seemed to be fine. We finished our trip and last fall I had an alignment check done on the trailer and was advise my springs were too long! They worked, but were banging into the rubber middle suspension block.

I contacted Denise Schrock at Dexter Axle (DSchrock@dexteraxle.com) and she sent me information on how to determine the axle number, which she needed to get me the proper specs for leaf springs.

Here's what she sent me... (tried to insert document narrative here but couldn't so I'll type it out).
"In the unlikely event that you should require service assistance from Dexter Axle, please have the lot (serial) number of the axle available when you call.

On all axles produced after April 2001, this nine digit number can be found near the center on the rear side of the axle beam. Look for the words DEXTER AXLE and the lot number will be located directly under the name. For easier identification, rubbing a piece of chalk over the number may help bring out the engraving.
"

I had to clean all the hard dirt off the axle in the area where the lot number is to find it. The numbers were nice a large to read, but not very clear, so you need to clean the axle real good.

Once I had my lot number I emailed her again and she send me several PDF files for the axles I need, or were originally installed, as well as a lot of other good information.

I replaced all 4 springs with the correct sized axles but with 3500# springs. The Dexter part number for MY axles is 072-098-00, equivalent part number UNA222.

Dexter was really helpful and very responsive. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Serial Number Location.pdf (48.6 KB, 94 views)