View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Start with a milepost book. Has info about every little stop along the way. I wasn't sure about how far to go and where to stop on my first trip. I went to one of the organized travel group things. I just saw where they stopped and did the same on my own. Only problem with this was one stop I happened to be there the same day they arrived and there weren't many sites left, but I had called ahead.

When I got near the permafrost area, I started seeing the little orange flags along the side of the road denoting a heave. I slowed down to 25 or so, but it wasn't bad. So the next flag I only slowed to 40 and WOW that was rough. Hard to tell a slight heave from a big one. There were a few sections that was under construction for a few miles at a time. Some of the rv sites in AK are pretty tight and/or short.

It was worth it tho. Both trips there I wanted to go to the Kennecott mine in Wrangle-St Elias NP (largest NP in USA). It is back about 60 or 80 miles on a dirt road (once a railroad bed) to the mine. I wasn't going to drive it if there was any rain recently or forecast. So first time it was raining. Second trip it was raining going thru the area and also pouring rain when we left AK so I still haven't made it. Darn.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote