View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Transmission Thermal Bypass

So, the transmission thermal bypass. Has anyone done this? After coming across MANY YouTube videos on the topic I decided to install one on our RAM before taking off a week ago on a 2 month trip. I don’t know if all of the OEM’s have a thermal transmission valve, but the RAM’s do and it’s apparently a potential source for costly tranny overheating.

As I said, there are many videos on why to do it and how to do it. It’s a fairly simple thing to do. I bought the ATS bypass kit and swapped out mine in about 20 minutes.

On previous towing trips the tranny temps would average about 175 deg and fluctuate up from there with longer uphill pulls. So far on this trip we have pulled some pretty aggressive hills including going south on I5 north of Grants Pass, OR and also the pass over the Siskyous. The tranny temp is averaging much lower…around 130 to 150 degrees and have gotten as high as 170 degrees a couple times, and not for very long.

Anyway, I’m just curious of other experiences with the thermal bypass and results.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote