View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

What you are getting with the "y shaped gizmo" is 30 amps on one leg and 20 amps on the other. It is designed to safely provide a little more power than just the 30 amp outlet. You will need to watch your usage since you don't have two 50 amp legs.
Following on Jim's post
20 amp and 30 amp service have three wires. One Hot, one common and one ground.
50 amp service has two hot, one common and one ground.

First, the 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone or adapter you would normally us when only having 30 amp service takes that one hot and feeds it to both hot legs "A" and "B" of the 50 amp interface.

Your Y gizmo has the 30 amp hot going to one of the 50 amp hot "A" and then the 20 amp hot going to the other 50 amp hot "B" wire.
So if the pedestal is wired correctly it should do as Jim says provide a little extra.

Trailer usage:
50 amp service means there are two hot 50 amp feeds to the trailer. Your circuit breakers are set up that hot "A" goes to one breaker and hot "B" goes to then next breaker alternating down the line.
One deviation to this as with mine is that hot "A" goes to the first two breakers and hot "B" goes to the second two breakers. This means that every other pair of breakers are feed by the alternate feed.

When you use the 30 amp adapter only that means a total of 30 amps is provided to your trailer and both "A" and "B" leg share it.

The most critical thing is to know how your circuit breakers are wired and manage the power draws accordingly. I found both of my Air Conditioning units were wired to the "A" leg in the circuit breaker panel. Jim helped me move one AC over to the "B" leg so there was better distribution even on 50 amp service.

I hope this is not too confusing and has helped.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote