Thread: Towing Question
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think Hooker is right on with the headwind post. I have also had some crosswinds that were extreamly bad for towing, both safety and the ability to even get into OD. That was quite a few years ago with a non-aerodynamic fifthwheel. Our new Montana 3160 is just about the same weight, a bit longer and a lot more aerodynamic than the only Canadian built Vangard. The same truck pulls the Montana way easier than the old unit, especially in windy situations. Smooth roundes corners front and back make a big difference in my opinion, not to mention where the actual kingpin sits in relation to the front of the unit in regards to the cab of the truck. I think wind is the biggest factor against us for MPG and comfortable towing.
I do have a nice adjustable air deflector (still in the garage) that helped out with the old fifth-wheel. I never tried the wind deflector while towing the boat. It seemed to me that when I used it with the fifth-wheel I was able to get into OD easier and a bit better MPG. I still had the cost of buying it to count against my fuel bill.
Towing a 21' welded aluminum jet boat on a tandem axle trailer with a real long tongue with my truck did not get me great mileage as it was not real aerodynamic either, and weighed a lot.

Tom Marty