View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Interesting subject of warranty coverage and it is difficult to be exactly right. Had a long conversation with the Local Ford dealer this morning that turned into a round table discussion on the subject of contaminated fluids. Also got a E mail back from the service manager at our local Home Ford dealer who is a friend of mine. So here is a general wrap up.Don't have to agree with it or even like it.

mlh is correct and his referenced links state Ford policy... To be short..it is not Fords fault that you got contaminated fuel at a fuel station. Ford or any other brand does not warranty Flying J's fuel. It is the responsibility and the fault of the fuel station.

Example//you are in a accident that destroys your radiator..Ford warranty does not cover it. Not their fault. There have been many cases of putting gas into the diesel tank. That is contaminated fuel.. Ford warranty does not cover that.I remember of a case on a forum were the handle was improperly marked and gas was put into the diesel tank causing a big bill. Ford did not pay for the repair.(the station did)

The local Ford dealer said that a catastrophic failure caused by say my example of 30 gal of bad fuel on a one time basses was extremely rare and they could not remember such a case. Cases of the owner pumping gas in diesel is not rare but is unlikely to cause a catastrophic failure IF quickly addressed.

Both dealers had seen Ford refuse warranty on Contaminated fuel but in every case was the fault of the owner//IE: using improper fuel, using home blends improper maint and that is primarly what the Ford rep is looking for. Both dealers said about the same thing and if you think about it makes sense. So the Hi pressure fuel pump is covered if it is a failure of the pump itself but not if caused by a outside source such as bad fuel.

Both dealers had seen many cases of the High Pressure Fuel pump and other fuel delivery items replaced under warranty for failures/

This has caused me to re examine what I do. I do fuel at high volume stations regardless of price. I do keep receipts to track expense so I would know where I got the bad fuel. If contaminated fuel or fluids is suspected in a failure do not continue to drive it and tell the dealer to have the suspected fluid analyzed to determine the contamination and hope that you have receipt as to where you got it and notify them ASAP.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote