Thread: Tire Wear
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #43
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
I’m with PSFORD. He tried it, he knows it works. I know it works too. Again, these are NOT the nylon belted rags that you put on your passenger car or the E load rated ST tires. There is a reason why these G rated tires weigh more than twice as much as E rated. The construction is MUCH more heavy duty. They are built like a semi tire. They will wear completely different than an E rated or a passenger car tire. DO NOT compare the wear pattern on a G or higher rated tire to those generic wear charts. They DO NOT hold true with heavy duty tires. Heavy duty tires flex completely differently. I have done maintenance on semi trucks & trailers for 30+ years. This edge wear on these G rated tires is MOST DEFINITELY a result of over inflation for the weight that is being carried by the tire. Use the load/inflation table, then give yourself a 5% margin of error above what the table tells you for inflation pressures to allow for variables in load if you like. (I’m sure that the tire engineers that made the chart already gave some allowances for that.) I have seen this type of edge wear on LOTS of semi trailers that run empty or lightly loaded for a large percentage of their miles. When looking at the tread, you will see that the edges of the tread are “cleaner”, or more black than in the center. That is because the edges “scrub” more as the tire rotates because the tread surface is rounded like a basketball. That’s the nature of these tires because of their heavy duty construction. The heavy duty construction makes them stiffer. Thus, they don’t get as hot as an E rated tire. You all keep arguing against running lower pressures, but you all keep having the edge wear. Open your minds, admit that you could be wrong. Use the chart, lower your pressures & TRY IT, you might be surprised. Let the flaming begin, because I know it will.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote