View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #66
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The truth is there isn’t much difference in what difference grilles do. We all have one we like that fits our needs. There probably is some difference in charcoal and gas but a hamburger off a $1000 grill and one off a $10 one is going to taste pretty much the same.
Lynwood

Honestly, I don't think that is accurate. A burger can taste a thousand different ways....just by the fire and smoke. Now I agree, some don't care and "cooked" meat is cooked meat, but if you like that "particular" flavor burger just a xxxx grill won't do. I also think that most RVers try to cook various meats in different ways; I can guarantee that $10 grill won't be able to do much more than put some burn marks on a burger or hot dog.

At the moment I have 3 different grills in front of the RV. One is in fact a $19 charcoal grill from Walmart. I buy one everywhere I go then give it away because I won't carry a charcoal anything in my truck or RV. It can make a burger and cook some sausages; maybe even do a sort of good job on a piece of chicken....but not a 1/4 chicken.

Used to be a wood/charcoal purist but as I got older time (impatience) became pretty important so started using gas grills. JennAir, CharBroil, Weber; I've owned most of them - none can duplicate a wood/charcoal fire if you want to take the time. Smoker? Neither of the above can even start to do what they do. And therein lies the value of that $1000 grill and what it can do.

I have approx. 600 sq. covered ft. at my s&b called "bbq central" with various cooking "tools" there. I can assure you that there is a difference between that $10 grill (wherever that is) and a top line one without question - even with a "burger". JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote