View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My jacks are always down in Auto Level mode. My tires sit on treated lumber. The treated Lumber is on Asphalt. Even with the lumber under the tires and jacks, my asphalt drive way has dimples where the weight of the trailer rests. Now, if the jacks were not down, lending SOME support, the weight on the tires would no doubt be a lot more, resulting in an even deeper dimple where the tires sit.

Another reason for jacks down, is for more stability. I live in a very windy location, in the country with open fields all around. It's very common to get high winds. The more points of contact on the ground, the more stable the trailer is in high winds.

Now, about the only time my jacks are retracted is when we are actually traveling, or in the winter when there is an ice storm going on. Why the ice storm? If the jacks are extended and ice forms on the jacks, they will not operate correctly. They will stroke out because they can't move (mine are electric and this has actually happened to me). So, when I know ice is coming, I'll retract all the jacks and lower the front of the trailer as low as it will go, so thos jacks are all retracted too. Now, when the ice comes, there is no ice on shaft. And in the event we have to BUG OUT in a fast hurry, I know the jacks will sitll operate, even in the coldest and iciest of conditions, so we can hitch and GET! Yes, my camper is always 100% ready to bug out at any moment. Food and clothing may be left behind, but the camper is ready... always!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote