View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Rocky Road

M.O.C. #28881
Exclamation Possible factory defect, fire hazard

I have a 2016 Montana 3711FL with generator. I am the second owner and have been living in it full time for 15 months now. We recently had some work done at a Keystone authorized dealer and part of the work included removing the shore power receptacle. Shortly after, we started experiencing issues with the AC power system. Usually, in morning, would hear power switch clicking furiously then power would go out. Unplug from shore power, check plugs and then power would come back on but only to certain outlets. We also discovered that the external surge protector we use as well as one in coach used to protect computers, were fried. Also discovered that one leg of shore power cord was fried. Replaced everything and power was good for another day. Again, power switch started clicking furiously and power was lost. After conferring with a repair tech, I replaced the power selection switch. All good until next day, same issues with electrical burning smell. Started checking power at pedestal, all good. Checked power coming into power select switch and discovered that one leg was dead and other leg showed 240v to ground….no bueno! Pulled shore power receptacle and discovered neutral and power wires were reversed…..however, they were correctly wired following the color coding on receptacle. The receptacle was incorrectly color coded so the assumption is that receptacle was correctly wired (automated?) at factory in spite of color coding, but incorrectly wired by tech, who wired according to color coding thus causing fire hazard.
I contacted Keystone and they are so far not taking responsibility. I have offered them the opportunity to examine for themselves the defective receptacle. When I did discover the defects, there was extensive burning of the wires and terminals. Had a fire started, it would have originated right below the bed.
This is the only explanation I can offer, the incorrect wiring was discovered by an electrician, so to some degree, can’t be attributed to just operator error.
Anyone else have similar issues?
Rocky Road is offline   Reply With Quote