Thread: Furnace Safety
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #24
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Roman4

We did it one time. On one of our first trips I fired up the furnace about 30 minutes prior to our arrival at an overnite stop to "pre-warm" the trailer. It seemed not to cause any problems. After thinking about it, though, I noticed that about half of the floor registers are covered by carpet when the slides are retracted. That might not cause a major problem, but it is enough of a concern that I will be unlikely to do it again.
------------------------------------------

Roman4,

Good thinking. A furnace tech repairing our furnace last year told me to be sure to keep the vents open while running the furnace. If there is a constriction in airflow the air will get superheated in the chamber and shut down the limit switch or otherwise screw up the computorized board in the thermostat and-- good by heat. There are no Suburban furnace techs or parts locally available by the way.

As we live in our Montana this winter waiting to get into our house (still under construction) we enjoy the heat in this rig to the max and obey all the precautions. -23 degrees F so far and the furnace runs fine. If the furnace stops we will be in a motel (that accepts Lobo) within an hour and for for another month until our place is habitable.

Now there is a whole bunch of discussion on winter camping that we might have right here but I will spare you and me and others all of that at the moment.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote