View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've done it several times with success towing my trailer. You won't be burning up the road on the uphills and on the downhill don't forget to downshift and keep an eye on the RPMS, but if semis can do it, and your equipment is up to snuff (good brakes, good engine and trans, good trailer brake) then it is very do-able.

Sorry about the qualifiers, but northbound I-5 Grapevine right before the final descent was one of the places I had one of my Chinese-made tires blow up on me on the driver's side rear of a prior trailer we owned. With the onrush of traffic and trying to change a tire, it took over an hour dodging traffic as trucks and cars whizzed by.

The easy solution is DON'T have a problem! Fortunately, that was the only problem I've ever had on that stretch of road and I've done plenty of times since. You'll be fine.

Do you have an exhaust temp gauge on your addons? That would help a lot. I don't have one on my current truck, but when I had one on a prior truck used for my prior trailer, don't slam the accelerator or you'll get it up there. Take it easy and don't try and keep up with that BMW! You'll be passing the heavy semis slowly but not much faster.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote