View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #51
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, richfaa I was aware of the recerts for a truck when increasing its capacity and for cost reasons I might look into upgrumping my F-250 into an F-350 after verifying ALL rear components are the same and confirm that only the springs are different like I investigated 2, 3 and 4 years ago (I might need to go with the 4:10 differential too). It will probably cost the $4,000 price difference or a little more now, but for my stinginess I went with the F-250 because I didn't think the extra 1000 or so pounds was worth $4000 difference for a comparably equipped trucks. But 1000 lbs is all I need to stay safe and still carry all the stuff I want and where in the rig I want.

You are right on, Dave (KathyandDave) on the pin weight. I should have actually displayed how the calculations work for the tables to prevent assumptions. Quite honestly it is very difficult to measure the pin weight any other way than described, because you can't do it the landing gear because they are too far back and they aren't at the pin anyway and would give an inaccurate reading. And it's not like you can disconnect the truck, put a hitch tripod at the pin, then raise the landing gear becuase the tripod cannot support the weight. Maybe I'll add the "how to calculate" your pertinent weight to obtain the important numbers.

So Sinterior, do you think ALL the U.S. RV Rig drivers that travel through Canada on their way to Alaska actually get checked for a sticker? They already check a lot of other things but I have never driven anything substantial through there. Some of you might already know the answer through experience.

In Summary, congratulations to Kabrys on making the right decision, thanks to this membership. I wished I knew about the MOC when DW and I finally decided on purchasing our 3500RL which we love so much. Since I was upgrading my truck at the time, I wouldn't be going through this now. I thought of only towing capacity and not where the weight was going to be sitting.

I'm not too old to learn.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote