View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Congrats on your new Montana. And I have to agree with the above comments, learning to handle a fifth wheel after nothing but life-long experiences with travel trailers and utility bumper pull trailers was a real learning curve.

Everyone said how much easier a fifth wheel was over a travel trailer. I did not, and still do not share that sentiment. With a dually truck, there were a LOT of obstacles to overcome. It took time, patients, and practice to becomes comfortable towing a 31.5 foot fifth wheel behind a long-bed dually truck with a total length right at 60 feet.

But after 3 years, it's old-hat now. Is it better? Is it easier? ... over a travel trailer? My answer is "No." Considering I had a really, really good match between my travel trailer, weight distribution hitch system, and towing with a 3500 dually long bed, when I switched to the fifth wheel, (which by the way, the total length is only about a foot different now), I cannot tell if there is an improvement with the fifth wheel or not. I really do not think so. When towing both, they are both so smooth, I often forget I'm hauling 41 feet behind me, especially with an integrated brake controller, ..... until I go to actually make a turn at an intersection. Then I'm reminded what I'm lugging behind.

Backing was a real challenge until I took the time to go out to a huge parking lot, with cones and boards, and markers, I practiced backing, keeping track of the movements of the truck and trailer, position of the wheels, and where the final stopping point was. Once I was able to reproduce the movements over and over, the cones, boards, and markers disappeared and I was able to reproduce. I haven't had any real issues since. Sometimes I miss judge and have to attempt a back in twice, and when campsites are on a sharp curve, they become real challenges. But with each new experience, it's getting better and better...... NOT easier ... just better.

One thing not talked about very often is the amount of space between the bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel over-hang. It doesn't take very much of an angle difference for trailer to make contact with the bed rails.

On a travel trailer, this is NEVER a problem as the trailer coupler can pivot much more free on a ball hitch (side to side), where as a fifth wheel hitch, it doesn't take much of a side-to-side pivot and you've just put a ding in your camper.

Hitching up is equal in my opinion. I had no issues with Equal-i-zer weight distribution bars and with a back up camera on my truck tail gate, hitching was quick and easy. With the fifth wheel, hitching is actually more of a challenge because I cannot see the hitch from my rear truck widow. That back seat makes it impossible to see. I use the mirror on the trailer a lot and have markers indicating the middle of everything. When they line up in a straight line in my mirror, I know I'm dead on for a hitch-up.

You learn little tricks like this, and you do have to think outside the box. But once you get some of these minor irritations figured out, it's not bad at all. Again ... I say, not "better" only different.

Good luck with your new experiences.... be patient. A year from now, you'll be a real pro towing that fifth wheel.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote