View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #85
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Getting back to the op comments regarding licensing and drivers. I have found that most of the RVers I have met have experience towing trailers, often starting with pop ups or small tt's like myself and moving up to a 5er. I also carried a cdl for years but gave it up when I stopped driving commercial due to the cost and the physical. I have also been cut off by truckers as often as RVers, though rarely for both, more likely a young guy in a Beemer.

As for backing up, I struggle along with that. I find the FW harder than a TT. I have also had to back into some real tight places and done it like a pro. I think the reason was it was so tight I went very slowly and carefully. One time I got in a Marathon station and couldn't make the turn for the exit and had to back into a space between the building and a dumpster with about 6" on each side to clear. Took me about 15 minutes but I got it done. Then I get home and try to back into my driveway that is 30' wide and miss my spot by a good 6', go figure.
I think the biggest problem that I have seen on the road is too much speed and poor weight distribution producing sway.
It would be nice though if dealers at least offered to provide new customers some training options in addition to the pdi.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote