View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
LoneStar
Established Member

M.O.C. #24911
Those are some great pics, guys—and those pics are, indeed, helping me—again, thank you

a little more info about my generator:
It’s a 5.5kW, HGJAC—the gen has a total of 44 hours of run time on it, and that’s a big reason that I am switching it to our recently acquired trailer (Montana HC), rather than let it go w/our previous 5’er—this gen is just now getting wore-in, properly
Our previous 5’er was not a Montana trailer, and the Onan’s muffler (which isn’t OEM) hung below the generators box a little bit. I didn’t fab. This setup, but since it worked well, I left it alone. The muffler being hung/mounted a little lower than the generator’s base allowed heat to dissipate more quickly, and not transfer as much heat to the sheet metal enclosure/cargo box.
....(but) after watching the Montana HC’s auto-level system do its’ thing, I’m afraid I can’t allow the muffler to be mounted any lower down than the generator’s base. The muffler being lower than the gen’s base was never a problem w/ previous trailers, but it seems like it is going to be a real problem with this (Montana HC) trailer, as Ground Control bottoms out each time it cycles (before raising to un-hitch height) which would smash the gen’s muffler (if it were hanging down below the gen’s base, as before).
So, I have a good muffler, but it’s not OEM. Just a few days ago I searched online and located the muffler that is supposed to go with this generator (Onan part number 155-3470 or 155-3499–see pic, below)
The cost of the muffler is going to be nearly $1500, which I absolutely refuse to do.

Any ideas on this situation?
Should I try taking my current muffler to a muffler shop, and asking them to modify it, where it mount level w/the bottom of the gen’s base?