View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
After our first trip this year I got tired of cleaning all the bugs from the front cap. I first washed it well but still had some staining from bugs. I bought Mequire's Clay Bar Kit (Mother's also has one) and clay barred the front cap. This took off surface dirt that did not come off with washing, but still left some staining from bugs. Then I used the Wax Cleaner that was part of the kit and, to my wonderful surprise, it removed the bug stains. It probably removed the oxidation as well, but I didn't really notice. It went on very easy and I wiped it off after about 5-10 minutes or so with a clean, but old, cotton terry towel. Then I used Meguire's Gold paste wax and waxed the entire front cap. I did not find any swirls. The front cap is now nice and smooth, although not a shiny as I would like.

We have been out a couple times since then and the bugs on the front cap come off very easily with a wash with a washing brush.

I also clay barred the horizontal surfaces on the back cap and found the Wax Cleaner cleaned the black streaks that I couldn't get off otherwise. It also got a coat of Meguire's Gold paste wax. It is now very easy to clean and the black streaks come off easy. The back cap has no swirls and is nice and shiny.