Thread: Chucking
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 12:50 AM   #25
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Some may disagree, but I say "It's impossible to totally eliminate Chucking". Most chucking comes from the TV and RV hitting seams in the highway at different times, especially on Concrete highways.
The best you can do is to soften the effects of chucking, and the Mor/ryde pin does a very good job and an air ride hitch or some other form of cushioned hitch helps. With the Andersen your connection between TV and RV are pretty solid.
My opinion on chucking only.
I agree. You never really get rid of chucking. You can mitigate it with a new pin box designed for that purpose. It appears many folks really don’t understand what “chucking” is. It has nothing to do with your hitch causing it. It has to do with the physics of push/ pull caused by bumps and humps in the road on your truck and 5er. As your trick hits a bump it slows your truck for an instant, and your trailer is moving faster than your truck for that instant, causing it to push your truck. As your trailer hits the same bump, your trailer slows for an instant, causing your trailer to pull on your truck as it has slowed going over the bump. The rougher the road the more chucking you will have, and may experience more porpoising. On a nice smooth road you may not experience any chucking. Obviously, this is a simplified explanation. Porpoising is the up and down motion, mostly caused by bumps in the road but weight distribution can also cause porpoising as well as an unbalanced or over taxed suspension on your truck. The Lippert Air ride pin box system dampens both porpoising and chucking. There are others that have similar dampening qualities. Air bags i have found also help to smooth out the ride. I have ridden with more than one person that swore they had no chucking. They all had some chucking, some more than others. Slop in your hitch hook up is not chucking, but the slop has a similar feel. Slop in your hitch can be very dangerous, so if you have slop, excessive movement in your hitch you need to address it immediately. I have the Lippert Air ride system and it made a huge, huge difference in dampening the chucking but on rough roads I still have some. I would suggest you do more research on different pin box remedies and pick the one you think will give you the most dampening qualities for both chucking and any porpoising and shock from bumps in the road.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote