View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope this is still the case, but for my 2006 here's the story.

For the fluid it's ATF Type A (not type F). It's hard to find but confirm with your autoparts person that Dexron or Mercon are suitable replacements for Type A. Just find the cheapest stuff you can find - nothing fancy is needed, except that it needs to be a suitable Type A or equivalent.

My manual for my 2006 Monty gave me the amount to fill and I thought it was 1/2" or 1/4" from the top of the reservoir. I marked it with a permanent marker so I don't have to look it up or remember it anymore. CHECK and REFILL ONLY with the slides are Retracted!!!

When I bought the rig, I never had or leak but this was one of the things I corrected when I started having start/stop slide movement problems. The fluid was just plain low (less than half) and I never found out why, but after refilling the fluid I have never had to refill (it's been 5 or 6 years since). Besides, the fluid being too low, I also experienced weak batteries (I have since improved recharging), not having the rear stabilizers down (this prevents unnecessary extra movement when slides are retracted and extended) and finally the last thing I corrected is I put in better resetting breakers (dual parallel 40 amp worked for me). All this within the first year of ownership. Since that first year and all these corrections, I've had no problems.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote