View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Bert should take a lesson from the bumble bees. Aerodynamically, they can't fly 'cause some "experts" said the 'wing loading' was too great. Fortunately, the bees never read that dissertation so they fly anyhow. I spent several months driving trucks at Bosch Automotive Proving Grounds at New Carlisle, IN. We ran most vehicles aroung the durability test track with about a 40% overload. It was called "Accellerated mileage accumulation." The track was 2.5 miles around and I drove around 100 miles a night on it. 100 miles on that track was the equivalent of 10,000 miles in real life. I'd not worry about being being 15 or 20% over what the sticker says on ANY diesel 3/4 or 1 ton.
http://www.bosch.de/start/media/news...ng_grounds.wmv
I think if Chevy, Dodge or Ford's engineers could eeeek out one more pound of GVWR or cargo capacity or GCWR they would.

Re the bumble bees...some things you can 'make' fly...I've been banging around in helicopters off and on since 1969, they sure can't fly, but we make 'em.

As for being comfortable 15/20% over weight...the plaintiff's attorney would love to have that going for him.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote