View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now let's not try to read between the lines. I was talking about TRYING to clean the sensors for the gages. I didn't say anything about not occasionally cleaning the tank itself. To the contrary. About every 3 months during my flushing process I will dump a quart bottle of Greased Lightning or Fantastic (whatever I have around) into the empty tank.
With the tank dump valve closed and the tank empty I go into the head and dump the Greased Lightning into the toilet. I will than go out and turn on the water to the flush valve. Keeping the dump valve closed and paying close attention I fill the tank through the flush. Once the tank is full I will than open the valve and dump. I will than refill the tank with just water again through the flush and dump again. I than check the clear sewer hose fitting to see what is coming out. If it's clear, and it usually is I am done with the black tank, Now if you want to clean the gray and galley tanks, you have to dump in the Greased Lightning, or whatever, fill the tank with water and drag the trailer around. This usually works best when moving from one cg to another.

Now while I am at it here is my normal dumping process...

First of all, I have permanently added a 4th valve to the end of the sewer pipe where you would normally connect the sewer hose. I than attach a clear elbow to that valve and than the sewer hose.
For maximum capacity in the Gray and Galley tanks, I keep both the Gray valve and the Galley valve open and the new 4th valve closed thus sharing the two tanks. By sharing the two tanks I am increasing my Gray water storage capacity by 30+ gallons. As we do very little inside cooking the Galley tank gets very little water from the kitchen sink. This sharing of the two tanks extends the frequency of draining the Gray water from 3 to 4 days to 7 or 8 days or more. Needless to say but the Black water valve is also kept closed.
So here’s my system.
First we always Dump the Black tank first.
First step is to connect the garden hose to the Flush fitting and turn on the water.
I than close the Gray and Galley valves and open the Black water valve and than the 4th valve and drain the Black tank until the flow through the clear elbow has slowed to just the amount of water being put in through the flush valve.
I close the Black tank valve and refill the Black tank using the flush valve. Yes, I am aware that the manufacturer does not recommend closing the gate while using the flush. Just be careful and do not allow yourself to be distracted while refilling the Black tank. You have to be very careful not to overflow the tank. You sure don't want this water inside the coach.
When the tank is full I dump it again and refill again.
I repeat the process until the water coming thru the clear elbow is nearly as clear as the water going in through the flush valve. Once I have reached the water clarity I desire I than close the Black tank gate and shut off the water to the flush valve.
With the Black and Gray valves now fully closed I open the Galley valve and let that tank drain fully.
I than close the galley valve and open the Gray water valve and drain the Gray water tank and at the same time the Gray water is flushing the sewer hose.
Leaving the Gray water valve open I reopen the Galley gate and close the 4th gate and I am done for another 7 or 8 days

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote