View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #31
MARTYB

M.O.C. #23534
When I was looking at purchasing my MHC 385BR I was concerned that I didn't have enough truck. I knew that the max trailer weight was within the tow rating for the truck and the GCWR would be under the max, but the pin weight would be over the payload rating for the truck. BTW my truck is a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins. I asked the dealer if I could take it for a test run and he said sure. I was coming from a 30 foot Sprinter fifth wheel, so I already had the hitch. The Montana leveled the truck, verified with a tape measure. My test run was a total success! I took it on the interstate, up a very long steep grade and on a winding 2 lane road. I felt no sway, no sense of the trailer trying to push me, semis passing me at 80 had no affect and I could maintain the speed limit with no effort. I am running aftermarket wheels and tires with the tires being rated at 4000lbs. I am very confident in my trucks ability to handle my camper. Still after reading the many many comments by the weight police I was concerned about the legality of my set up. I contacted the KY State Police who is responsible for vehicle enforcement and posed this question, If the pin weight of my fifth wheel exceeds the payload rating for my truck, but the trailer is under the tow rating and I am under the max GCWR, am I legal? The answer was yes. So for my truck if the trailer is under 175000lbs and the combined weight is under 275000lbs I am legal. I realize a 1 ton would have more capacity but is it really needed? would the extra cost be justified? I my case the answer is no.
MARTYB is offline   Reply With Quote