View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Ford brake controller--"Trailer Fault" --THE FIX??

As I was braking heavily while we were coming down a steep hill towing our Big Sky yesterday, I heard a loud beep from the area of the instrument cluster--similar to the beep I hear when I get a low fuel alert. I looked at the instrument cluster message center on our 2007 F-350, but there was no message there. A few minutes later, while braking again (but not as heavily), I got another beep. This time, I saw the message "trailer fault" on the instrument cluster message center. That message stayed there only a moment or two before disappearing. During the remaining 10-15 minutes of our trip, before arriving at the campground, I applied the brakes on several occasions, but didn't get any beep and didn't see any further messages in the message center window.

The owners manual says that the "trailer fault" message can appear either when there is a "trailer brake overload" (trailer brakes drawing too much current) or a "short circuit on the electric brake output wire." Anyone had this error message on their Ford system before? Should I wait to see if the error message recurs, or is there something that I need to be doing right now?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote