Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #66
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Greg, I run a solar panel with an inverter as my main power source for boondocking. I don't know yet how much power this trailer uses but my old rig I could power the TV and satellite from the inverter for several hours a day, keep the 12 volt battery bank fully charged. The generator is really needed for high power consumption devices, a/c, microwave etc. When we do travel, then generator is a huge asset and in my opinion a liability. We do feel that the internal genset will be well worth the expense for the added convenience. I think we really made that decision years ago. After travelling across the Texas panhandle in mid June, pulled in to Walmart camp in Amarillo. 110* at 7pm. I had a new Honda 3000 and it wouldn't run the 13.5 a/c unit! I had both the a/c and Honda checked. Both checked out ok. Thankfully the Honda dealer took the generator back! We got a Honda 1000 and use it unless. The Generac was pretty reasonably priced and runs the a/c nicely but as I mentioned earlier, very heavy and loud. I can't wait to get the Onan.
I have thought about solar as well. I am going to see if they will at least wire it for me when I order so it's there. Texas with no AC would not be fun. We lived there for four years, can't imagine not having AC, too old for that any more
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote