View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We took our Big Sky into a local dealer here in Door County yesterday morning and had them look into the problem with our brakes. They pulled and inspected all four wheels. The wires to the magnet on the right rear wheel had started to fray, but didn't seem to be worn down to bare metal yet. Nonetheless, the tech wrapped the frayed area and then tied the wire back so that it wouldn't fray again. None of the other three wheels showed any problem with fraying wires. The wiring to the receptacles in the truck all seemed to check out. After they put the wheels back on, I took the rig for a test drive, and the brakes seemed to be working fine--and there were no further "trailer fault" signals from the integrated brake controller. So we crossed our fingers and headed down the road. After three hours of towing yesterday and four more hours again today, the brakes continued to work fine, and we had no further "trailer fault" alerts.

I have a hard time believing that the small amount of fraying we found on the right rear wheel was all there was to this problem--I'm worried that there is still a problem lurking somewhere that may be hidden for the moment because some wire with worn insulation got moved a bit during the course of this work and is not now in contact with ground--but that it may short out again in the future when some bounce in the road moves it back into contact with a ground. We've got our fingers crossed and hope that doesn't happen.

Regardless of what happens, we wanted to thank everyone who stepped forward with helpful suggestions. WOW, but this is a great forum!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote