Thread: Trains
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
Hey folks, Just a little FYI here the Engine MLH is referring to is N&W 611, not 911. Folks start googling it they will find something very different. It is one of the most amazing machines ever built by man as far as I am concerned. Currently at the NC Transportation Museum close to Charlotte NC.

Thanks. I thought she was up here in our transportation museum. She is the 611 and one amazing machine. Imagine a almost million pound steam fired machine traveling at 110 mph. When is she coming home?
When I was a kid my father would take us over on our neighbors property where we could watch the trains Sunday afternoon. It was on a high hill and we could hear them coming way before we could see them. They crossed a long high bridge when they came into sight and then by us. At that time the Virginian RR was using electric engines. They came by us to. Electric engines were discontinued over 55 years ago. The N&W was the last major RR to quit using steam engines. Their main freight was coal and to support coal they used it.
Thanks again
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote