View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the same GPS and software as Karl. I just plug the laptop into a $20 75-watt inverter that plugs into the "power point" or cigarette lighter. I've been using this setup for about three years including a little short of two years' fulltiming. I also have a 12v adapter like Karl has but not for the truck's laptop. It's for my Sony, which is in the process of dying, which will make the cord useless.

I have a board that is bungee corded around the lid to the console. The board is covered with velcro. I put velcro on every available space on the bottom of the laptop. This way it stays put but I can move it around how I want it on the console, although I don't move it while the truck is moving. I have it angled towards me so I can quickly look down at it. Works really well.

The software has an option to talk to you. It will do that automatically at the appropriate times to let you know a turn is coming up, or whatever. I also have taped near the keyboard a list of keyboard commands. For example, pressing F5 will result in the voice telling me about the next turn, no matter how far away it is.

By the way, if your laptop doesn't have USB, I think the new Earthmates either come with a serial adapter or it's available for purchase from DeLorme. If not, contact me. I think I still have a serial Earthmate. I'm using the USB version now. The serial one plugs into the power point also so you'd either need two power points or a two into one adapter. The serial Earthmate is not compatible with non-DeLorme software. The newer, USB version is NMEA compliant so can work with other software.

I also have a garmin (for laptop) around here somewhere and the Microsoft gps that came with Streets and Trips. I guess I need to have a garage sale.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote