View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #40
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I've spent the last couple of days working on the spring hangers and brakes. Just before our trip to Glacier and over to Goshen, IN and then back home I had my brother check the shackles. He said that they were just starting to show some wear but that I could probably make the trip and we'd check them when we got home. So when we got home we checked them and they were GONE! Two of them were almost completely worn through. One or two more "big" bumps and they'd probably have broken!

Needless to say we replaced them. And we replaced them with some REAL ones!

I cannot believe that a manufacturer would put such flimsy shackles on these heavy rigs. The original hangers are thin. The bushings are thin plastic. They have no grease zerks. The replacement hangers are THICK heavy duty shackles. They have brass bushings. All the bolts and the equalizer have grease zerks on them. This is the way they should have been done in the first place. I've got a couple of pictures I'll post tomorrow.

Folks these things are hard to see unless you are looking for them and they are sort of "out of sight out of mind" type issues. But please check them and replace them the minute they show wear. These things may be part of the reason so many of us are having trouble with our tires.

Unlike Gruffy's rig which had a lot of rust mine had none. We live and have traveled only in relatively dry climates.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote